Recently our team at UPM Conveyors were consulted to design a system to increase hand packing output to 150+ bars per minute for Fullwell Mill, based in Sunderland.
The experienced food manufacturer of specialty bars had developed Just 5, a range of Fairtrade and organic snack bars to complement their established Tropical Wholefoods brand. It became obvious that packing capacity needed to expand to accommodate the company’s new private label and existing contract bar manufacturing success, and we were able to create an effective solution.
Our bespoke conveyor solution
Our experts liaised with Fullwell Mill personnel to establish the required production parameters and submitted 3D images which could be infinitely adjusted to suit on site criteria. These criteria included product flow, available floor area and operator preferences on best working practice.
The end result was based on an in-feed conveyor having catered for X-ray:
- Metal detection
- Check weighing to transfer product to a carousel
- A carousel where operators could comfortably sit to collate and pack bars
- Weight range of 20g to 1kg including quad (stabiles; gusset and pillow packets)
- Product put into outer boxes
- Outer boxes easily transferred to transit boxes on an overhead conveyor
- Overhead conveyor can be reversed in direction if required
UPM Conveyors also incorporated variable speed control on each conveyor with strategically placed emergency stops and ensured the total system was modular in construction to allow for future expansion. This was important due to the ongoing success and growth of Fullwell Mill.
All of our conveyors are tested to UK standards and all health and safety CE requirements, whilst our in-house project management team makes the process of design, installation and commissioning run efficiently.